This was the site of numerous royal and church councils before Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries.
The area is known for being the early nineteenth century home of Lord Nelson. He first arrived at ‘Merton Place’ – where the High Path estate is today – in 1801.
After his death at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, family debts mounted until the house was demolished in 1823.
In the nineteenth century Merton was an industrial area. Notable entrepreneurs such as Arthur Liberty and William Morris owned businesses on the River Wandle.
The London Borough of Merton first came into existence in 1965. The borough drew together the five town centres of Colliers Wood, Mitcham, Morden, Raynes Park and Wimbledon.
Today, Merton is home to more than 200,000 people, 80,000 homes and 7,500 businesses. It is best known as the home of the Wimbledon Championships.